Norwegian Sky Bahamas cruise / May 9 - 12, 2014 / Departure!
This was my first trip alone with my
two kids. They are older now (10 and 16) and more self sufficient, but in the
past, I've always had someone else with me - my mom, my husband, a friend, but
this time it was just me. I had been wanting to do this for quite a while but
the right opportunity just never presented itself. I had just completed my
first full marathon in Pittsburgh and at the end of the training, I just felt I
needed some time with my kids! So when a short cruise opportunity came up I
jumped on it! 3 days of sun and fun without any distractions - and over Mother’s
Day. What a gift for all!
Our flight left Pittsburgh on time
at 5:20am, which called for a very early morning. It's amazing how nobody seems
to mind getting up in the middle of the night to go on vacation! We arrived at
the airport around 4am and there was a slight line at the ticket counter. I had
already checked in and paid to check one bag so it was just a matter of
dropping off that bag. The line moved fairly quickly and soon enough we were
heading to security. Trying to keep it easy we packed mostly carry-ons, just
checking one bag of stuff we could live without in case it got lost. A little
bit of stuff from each of us - never put all your eggs in one basket with the
airlines! Making sure everyone could handle carrying their own stuff made
maneuvering the airport that much easier.
Our next obstacle – security! The TSA line wasn't overly packed but did
have maybe 40 people or so. It was then I remembered that my and my daughter’s
boarding passes were marked with the pre-check! Yes! But what about my ten year
old son? After checking with the security agent, I was told that everyone in
your party ages 12 and up must have the designation in order to use that line
so we were good to go! Went through the pre-check line and sailed through security. Already having my 3-1-1 bags ready to go in the easy access shoulder
bag carryon also helped.
We then headed to the gate and had
plenty of time to grab a quick breakfast and use the restroom. Pittsburgh has a
lot of great shops and restaurants at the gates but sadly McDonald’s was the
only thing open at that hour. What a
shame!
At the gate we began boarding and
it looked like there was going to be a problem but not so. (Yep, surprised me
too!). We got on the plane, took off and actually arrived in Philadelphia early. Using my US Airways app I was able to continually
check flight status and gate locations for my connecting flight. I warned the
kids that we would change terminals and to be ready to go in case we ran late. Pre-warned
is pre-armed! Luckily, we were only
going from B to C but it was a bit of a walk since we were the last gate. Philadelphia
also had a lot of shops closed but it looked like all the good options were
open. We had enough time to relax a little and wait to board our flight. So far
so good, but planning ahead and being on top of things is going to be
imperative for this trip.
Planning included suitcase sizes
and carryon sizes, packing snacks and things to do. Never know if we’re gonna
have time to grab some food so I always have my own. Especially good for picky
eaters! As a parent, we learn to plan ahead for our kids’ daily needs. This
is never more important than while traveling!
I might add that something happened
right away that I never anticipated - this was bringing the kids closer together
- at least for this weekend. My kids are very different in personality and 6
1/2 years apart so sometimes they clash. Since this was a last-minute trip, ideal
seating was not available for all flights. From Philadelphia to Miami we had 2 seats together and one middle seat, 2 rows up. Of course I thought the teenager would want
to be alone, so I put her there. Nope. She chose to sit with her brother and enjoy
the experience together. I admit I was worried when it came down to it
and the flight was full so I couldn’t move, but I never heard a peep out of
them. Ok. They're getting along - this may be the best Mother's Day ever! At least
so far – LOL! Will let you know how long
THAT lasted!

No comments:
Post a Comment